Monday, August 6, 2007

The Power of One

Tonight we watched The Power of One at Nate and Molly's house. It was based on the WWII/ afrikaan period in South Africa. It made me think about several things. 1) We are all children of God. Each of us- no one is better than another. What a silly and foolish thought- to think we are above another because of our skin, our education, our job, our wealth, our heritage. Each of us, individually, is a beloved child of God. To Him, none of those things matter, just like before we came to earth none of it mattered and just like once we leave this earth none of it will matter. How silly of us to get caught up in such pride during our short stay here!

I often (and too easily) get caught up in wants. Wanting to have nice things, wanting more. In the movie we watched, the African people who lived in the ghettos, who had practically nothing, they were the happiest. They were the most willing to look past skin, most willing to give another a chance, most willing to help a brother. Those who seemed to have everything in comparison, had nothing. They let pride and the desire to gain more and be 'on top' take away what was truly important, family, and thus lost it all.

I want to help change the world! I want to make it a better place! As I start to feel frustrated about my seemingly inability to do something, I remember that I am a mother. I will have children and will do my best to raise them to love their fellow man, to do whats right, and to help make this world a better place. In this, my duty, I can help to change the world.

To those who are unaware, there is an amazing website out there: www.thehungersite.com . Through sponsors, they are able to donate a cup of food for each click received daily. What a simple, simple thing! It couldn't get any easier! And yet, I sometimes forget- too caught up in emails, too caught up in 'surfing', too caught up in myself. Please, add this site to your daily 'web repretoire'. How simple it is to help, how true: the Power of One.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reading that made me really start to think. Thanks a ton!:)

The Summerhays Archives