Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tragic Happenings

Okay- I knew this day would come. The day my perfect angel totally breaks and wrenches my heart.

Being the cheap and less-than-well-to-do-financially college students that we are, and seeing as how we no longer have easy access to free laundry, we decided to try to save a buck by drying our clothes, rather than spend the whopping $0.75 to dry them, on our wooden drying rack.

Christian found the drying rack covered with his clothes to be quite fascinating. This is where the trouble began.

I was in our bedroom folding laundry when I heard a piercing scream- ran out, found Christian playing with the bottom dow rod and snapped it- it broke, whipped out, and sliced open his face. I didn't know the face slicing part immediately. His eyes wre shut tight and i was afraid he had gotten something in them. Then about 3 seconds later this huge blooding scrape appears all across his forehead. The thing you can't see is that it extended clear back to the crown of his head.

I almost panicked. Luckily, Heavenly Father was watching out for the perfect angel, and the rod missed his eye by about 2 mm. AGHH. It was super scary.



This is after his nap. He is so quick to forgive his nitwit mama. Though I think his totally loving smile makes the whole thing even more painful.

Worst is that it's right across his face so every time I look at him there's no hiding the guilt. On the way to school that day, people would smile at him in the stroller but with a "oh you POOR CHILD! What in the heck have they let happen to you?!?" kind of a smile. Some would just turn away. AGH. The guilt.






Daddy's All-American boy.

7 comments:

PerryParty3 said...

Poor guy! Was this before I talked to you on the phone?! (And by the way, sorry I never called you back. My phone line has gone dead, and I haven't figure dout how to get it workking again). I hope his cut heals quickly and I'm so glad it wasn't worse! Is my little nephew walking now?! Ya gotta borrow a camcorder and give me some footage!!!

Sarah said...

Poor baby! Don't feel too bad, it makes them tough (thats what I tell myself whenever Anna hurts herself atleast)! He is sooo cute, scratch and all!

Staigerfamily said...

Oh I'm so so sorry! Major ouch! I am so glad it wasn't worse. Don't beat yourself up too bad--kids are kids and they have to explore and get hurt. I do think I understand, though, I felt HORRID when Jaron broke his arm! You are a WONDERFUL Mom and he is adorable!

Gary Church said...

That is quite possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen!

Emily B. said...

Oh, that is sad. You shouldn't feel guilty at all, but I even feel guilty looking at him. But the little trooper is still smiling!

I love that you're due the day after me! How fun! We'll have to keep up with the blogs to see whose actually comes first!

Michelley said...

No fun! I'm so sorry! The same thing happened to my sister's girl around the same age - only with a mirror. It freaked her out too. I'm sorry!!

beckstarr said...

Sweet Christian is too handsome to let a big old scratch taint his style. Sorry about that bud! We love you guys! -Beck

The Summerhays Archives