Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Patrick's Post: A Nervous Father

Christian is a constant source of anxiety for me. Is he going to like the sports that I like? Is he going to be tough enough to stand up to bullies? Is he going to make responsible decisions? Is he going to be obsessed with girls and cars? The answers to these questions have the potential to keep me up at night if not for moments like these:

Scene: Interior bedroom, day

Christian and Channing sit in the tent built by Mommy and Daddy that also doubles as a car (how Christian discovered this dual nature of tent-cars, we will never know). Channing is perched in Christian's blue camping chair. I hear them talking from the other room and peer in.

Christian: OK Channing, now buckle your seat belt!

Channing: Dah! Dodle odle odle. Maaaaaahhh...

Concerned, Christian turns to go for help at which point I am discovered.

Christian: Dad, Channing is in the car. He needs to put on his seat belt. Help him. Help him, Daddy!

Even with Christian's premature fixation with cars, undoubtedly brought on by Pixar, and his desire to have a turn driving WITH keys (he understands their importance in the process unfortunately), it is comforting to know that safety is not forgotten in the foray of automobile hysteria. Ka-chow!

1 comments:

beckstarr said...

I love the anxiety-- I love the sports anxiety especially. It cracks me up. I just read all of the posts on this whole page, and you guys are such good padres! I love the things your boys do, and I just need an update as to what you're doing and where you are (you've gotta be in the same place, right, not moved - because if you were babysitting for Vard, then you were local, right??) Tell me I'm right. Wait do they live in TX???!!! I'm beginning to feel alarmed. You'd better stop by our blog, or email, ok?

The Summerhays Archives