Thursday, June 12, 2008

Channing, Cont.

An update on our newest sweetie-

Wednesday afternoon the nurses noted that Channing's breathing was super fast, which was a concern. We thought things had improved, but later than night we noticed his breathing was still super fast, so we notified the nurses. They took Channing out to be monitored. About 2 am the nurse and the on-call pediatrician updated us on the situation. Channing's breathing was a major concern--it indicated his body was having to work hard elsewhere, likely trying to fight off an infection. He is hooked up to an IV in NICU, receiving antibiotics for at least 48 hours. They took a chest X-ray, which the nurse frankly told us looked bad. On top of everything, this morning they heard a heart murmur.

Patrick and Dad Summerhays gave Channing a blessing Thursday morning just before the second Echo (heart ultrasound)- I watched the whole Echo and the technician guy said everything looked terrific- nothing to indicate any reason for a murmur. Later this afternoon there was another chest x-ray which looked much, much better. We've been witnessing all sorts of little miracles today.

Channing's breathing is still a cause of concern- the cultures come back tomorrow so we'll know more then.





6 comments:

PerryParty3 said...

random comment? (above) He is so cute! and I love the interest Christian shows in him in the pictures. I will be anxious to hear the results from the cultures. Chelsea has a heart murmur too, but after an ultrasound they said she was fine.

Staigerfamily said...

Little Channing and your family will be in our prayers. My heart goes out to you and I wish you the very best! Man, that little boy is ADORABLE!! He really is super cute.
Side note--Christian has grown up so much, Jaron just asked me who he was! He didn't even recognize him as Christian! We are looking forward to being with your family soon.

Susan said...

Congrats you guys! What a cute name. I hope the doctors are able to figure everything out and that Channing is fine!

Randi said...

I'm so sorry for the scare! I hope that everything turns out allright. I know how it is to be scared like that... Bryan and I will keep you in our prayers. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I have a heart murmer, and it's never stopped me from doing anything that I really wanted to do. Plus, Channing has a great family and wonderful parents to help him deal with it. We love you guys!

Michelley said...

What a cutie! Way to go!!!! Hope everything is okay with his heart. We'll be praying for you! So glad you had another little boy!!

Jenny said...

congratulations on your cute little guy! kate was in the NICU for a week when she was born and it was really hard when they can't tell you exactly what's wrong. Things got a lot better for her after she got a blessing, and it sounds like that is the case for you as well. Anyways, i'll keep your little guy in my prayers. Hang in there!

The Summerhays Archives