Sunday, June 15, 2008

Patrick's Post: Happy Father's Day to Me!

First off, let me thank all of you family and friends who continue supporting us with your prayers. We are grateful for your faith expressed on Channing's behalf. Also, thanks to our friends and family of the 29th ward who make us feel like someone is always at our beck and call.

Today was a great Father's day. Let me be honest in saying that it was not the typical mirror image of Mother's day where mom gets roses and breakfast in bed. I spent the day working to keep Tawna off her feet and from lifting anything (especially Christian) at all costs. This meant that it was a day of work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I even found some measure of satisfaction from doing the chore I hate the most: dishes. Knowing that I was serving my Babes and helping her recover made me feel good.

Besides making sure Tawna didn't overdo it, I spent the day loving my boys and cherishing the moments of the two of them getting acquainted. We managed to capture some pretty stellar pictures.




Tawna was in no position to get me a gift this past week, but she did something that is more typical behavior of me than of her--she planned ahead. :) She bought me the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings on DVD! WOOOT! On top of that Christian made me a card and Tawna wrote me a loving letter. What more could a father ask for.

An update on Channing: After 48 hours on antibiotics via IV, and numerous blood cultures and chest x-rays, the only thing the doctors could find was a small opening in Channing's heart that is very common among newborns. It should close on its own in the next couple of weeks. They will continue to pay close attention to that at his wellness check-ups in the coming weeks.

As an appendage to the health issues with Channing, when he was first born, I noticed his tongue was connected with the underside of his mouth pretty close to the tip. We took Channing to the doctor on Monday and he checked out okay (it was a follow up to all of this mess to make sure he made it through the weekend okay). While we were there, we mentioned his tongue to Dr. Hafen (great man, that Dr. Hafen) and he decided to give it a little snip. The procedure is pretty painless and the skin is so thin that it didn't even bleed. Now he will hopefully be able to eat better (he didn't have much problem before surprisingly) and to gag and spit up less.

3 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

Those pictures are adorable and patrick you are an awesome dad and husband. Tawna is a lucky girl! We are so glad channing is doing better. . . my boys have been praying LOTS for him! Congratulations on the baby. You guys are awesome.

PerryParty3 said...

There's that word again "stellar". You gus crack me up. I especially love the part about Tawnadoing something unusual...planning ahead. :) Lord of the Rings? Tawna, you rock! Great job on being a great dad!

BrittWilk said...

glad to hear all is well with mr. channing. and aaron and i think that you summerhays make pretty cute babies. just thought you should know! :)

The Summerhays Archives