Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Post 100!!

Okay. This is our "big 100th Post"-which apparently is supposed to have quite a celebratory and special theme to it. However, rather than continue prolonging creating said 100th post in an effort to come up with said celebratoriness and creativity, I am going to simply post what I am starting to forget.

I had quite a story about my first day alone with the two kiddos (yes, this is old) but as I tried to retell it to a friend today, i realized i have forgotten much of it. So! Before it all slips my mind completely... Without further ado, I present:

The First Day Alone.

The Monday after Channing was born, Patrick went back to work. He was only going to go until 12:30, then we would take Channing to his Dr. appt. together. Okay. 4.5 hours. I can handle this.

Feeling ambitious, I got Channing dressed. The ambition continued. I got christian dressed. Wow. Its only 9am and I have both kids dressed. I impress even myself! What an Awesome and super stellar mom I am!

59 minutes later....

IT"S ONLY 10 O CLOCK!?!/!/!?!? I'm. going. nuts.

Christian NEEDS a nap. Christian doesnt want to nap. Not when there is such a fun new novelty that breathes and squirms and moves around. Mom says Christian must nap.
Channing is napping in the crib ('why can't you be more like your brother?? HE's taking a nap. HE doesnt jump out of bed..') Christian gets sleeping while mama rocks him. Channing makes a squeak. Christian, suddenly alert, belts out his new word: BAAAYYYYYBEEEEE!!! BAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYBEEEEEEE!!! Clearly, Christian can't go to sleep if channing is already in the room. I remove channing. Place him safely in the middle of our ginormous bed. Return to Christian. After 2 more failed attempts, I finally decide with Channing safe in our room, if I shut Christian's door tight, even if he Does get out of bed, there's nothing in his room that can either a)endager him or b)be endagered BY him. So, I shower.

Ah. Relaxation. halfway through shaving my legs:
BOOM TICK BOOM BOOM TICK BOOOM TICK BOOOM BOOM TICK.

Our electric keyboard. rhythms. Full Volume. Im half-deaf. In a seperate room. In the shower. And it still almost hurts my ears. ear. Lovely.

Christian is standing on keyboard bench, jamming to the pulsing beat. Smiling like a Crazy. Channing, angel, is still sleeping on the bed.

later...

Im in the kitchen. I dont remember doing what. Christian comes out with the toilet brush, 'helping' scrub the floor. Not too bad. after all, he's trying to help, Im sure. "Thank you christian for helping mama! now, lets go put this back!'-
Enter bathroom. The ENTIRE toilet is COVERED in red marker. Look at the Crazy. Marker covering his arms, hands, chin, and even in his ears. 'Oh my! were you coloring in here?" (note- all this really was said in a pleasant, high, soft voice. This is the one aspect of the day that I am proud of.) Take a picture as proof.

Finally. it 12:15. 15 more minutes to go.

Channing messes his pants. No biggie. Go to change him. Patrick calls. I answer. He's only blocks away. Hallelujah! Still pleasantly chatting.
Changing diaper. get everything wiped up. Reach for new diaper.

I never knew poop could shoot out like a water fountain. For 10 seconds straight. Covering a very large distance and surface area. Of brand-newly washed items.

I just love learning.

"Honey. Come Home. Fast. Run."


4.5 hours down. 1 lifetime to go.

-The Beginning.



Moral of the story:
It has been reconfirmed to me that one thing for sure I was blessed with is a 'sense of humor' in these situations. Rather than get stressed, I laugh. (this is both a blessing and a curse). I never once lost my cool. That day, at least. I saw the humor in it all, and paused to take a picture of the toilet. (something patrick did not understand.)

Yes, Life is Crazy. and an adventure. and wonderful. A great big crazy, wonderful adventure. and I am Loving it! :)

Happy 100th.



7 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

You are such a fantastic mom. I love this story. It gives me hope and makes me think of all the fun in store for both of us with our boys!

mk said...

You are seriously an amazing mother. And now I'm terrified of becoming one. I don't think I've been blessed with such patience ...

PerryParty3 said...

AWESOME. I heard about your day...but should have gotten it straight from you. It was hillarious! That Christian is starting to look more like you every day! My favorite part was the poop shooting out for 10 seconds straight. Classic. Hang on to that record of never loosing your cool!!! (But don't be afraid to call me the second you're about too...cause you know I ALWAYS lose my cool....I'm pro. :)

Heather said...

Wow, that is amazing. No wonder Patrick told you to tell us that you might appreciate someone to watch Christian for a bit. Seriously though, you are awesome for not losing your cool. I think it would take a lot of will power for a mom who's had 5 or 6 kids not to freak out at that situation. However, Christian is a really cute kid and I can see how it would be tough to get mad at him.

Tracy Jabbal said...

alex & i laughed out loud at the "poop shooting out like a fountain" part. good times! it sounds like you're doing a great job as a mommy! we miss you!

Kristyn said...

I love it!!!! Every bit of it! I'm so glad you wrote that all down. When I have my second I'm calling you!

Randi said...

Wow, I don't know of anyone who could have been as 'happy' in that situation! Good for you! I'm sure your sence of humor will come in very handy in the next few years.

The Summerhays Archives