Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Woes of a student-mom

So i have this incurable desire to create. I want to be so crafty! There are a million things I would like to do:
1)make an upholstered headboard
2)make a curtain for our bedroom
3)make a table runner
4)finally print out and frame our family picture
5)make thank you cards for christmas and Christian's birthday
6)bake
7)develop sugar cookie decorating skills
8)etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

HOWEVER.

I am 'in school'. (although, all truth be told, even if I weren't, lack of monetary funds is the #1 reason these things will remain un-done.)

I have two children. and one semester left. and I think i will die. (so of course, rather than take this time to conquer some assignments, I will use it to lament on my blog..) Last semester I took it easy-peasy. (hm. I have definitely never used that phrase before...). This semester I. will. die. Truly. It is inevitable.

Exhibit A:
3 online courses

Exhibit B:
Statistics

Exhibit C:
1 full-time internship which is supposed to chock up to 400 hrs. I am attempting to start up my own music business. Hm.

Exhibit D:
1 2 year old.

Exhibit E:
1 7 month old.


The evidence is clear. DEATH.

Im trying to convince myself to let everything else go- all desires to be a domestic goddess and a crafting diva and amazing gorgeous wife extrodinare- and just FOCUS ON SCHOOL. Kill myself for 4 months, and then its over. and I am G.R.A.D.U.A.T.E.D. Ignore all fantasies about decorating my apt, of hosting lavish parties, of creating cute and educational activities for my kids, of sending out amazing homemade cards 'from' my 2 yr old. Of sewing this and sewing that. Of getting my house cleaned. Of making decent meals. Of Showering.

To Let it all Go.

Until April 15th. FOCUS ON SCHOOL. F.O.C.U.S. I.Can.Do.it.

I will survive?




My self isn't listening.






help!


edit:
I know it will be worth it. Otherwise i wouldnt be doing it.

I just don't know HOW i will do it. How DO people do it? Trouble is...I dont actually know anyone that is trying death by 400 hrs, wife, on and off campus classes equalling going to school almost full-time, along with 2 kids. WHAT AM I THINKING?!?

9 comments:

Mandy & Aron said...

Well I'm no student mom...but I survived 6 online classes last semester, statistics being one of them, no biggie. So you'll be fine! 400 hours? That's equal to only 10 weeks at a full time job! I'm sure you'll be able to handle it all. Hey, if you can get an amazing grade on a tornado collage (sp?) project thing you did on the school bus (I think I got that story right) you'll do an amazing job this semester! Hang in there!

Staigerfamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staigerfamily said...

Hey Tawna's SELF--you list to her, okay? Because DEATH is bad, and TAWNA is FUN and the two don't mix well. Four months from now we are going to have one heck of a party. . .but I know that doesn't help much now. Hang in there, we are rooting (and praying) for you!!

Susan said...

You're amazing, Tawna! You can do it all!

Amy L. Workman said...

Tawna's new mantra: "I will craft and be super-mom/wife to my heart's content with Amy this summer."

Every morning (with all of your spare time...) look into the mirror after showering (unless you were serious about giving that up) and repeat the mantra 3 times. No wait. Maybe 4. After Jessica comes, I will be available on Saturdays to watch kids while you study/clean/run a business/etc...

If anyone can do it, you can! Let me know when you need a cookie break!

Jenni S. said...

Hi, long lost friend! My munchkin is now officially sitting up and therefor manageable, leaving me at least four brain cells and one hand available to babysit your two rugrats when you need a break. Let me know when I can come abduct your kiddies for an hour or two. I promise to give them back :-)

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I am back at school full time with my one year old and two year old to care for. And of course my lovely husband to be a wife to. It is super stressful but prioritizing helped a lot. Letting the hubby pick up some of the slack helps to. You can do it! ^_^

Sarah Vandermeer (formerly Sarah Galceran)

BrittWilk said...

you're thinking it's totally worth it and you're RIGHT! and if it makes you feel any better... i only have 1 kiddo... i'm done with school... and i still don't do crafty stuff. :)

Emily B. said...

Oh man this post hit close to home! I'm not a student, and I only have one baby (but a super busy YW calling, and a super busy work-from-home part time job) and I'm always having to "let it go."

You will LOVE being done with school. I remember continually being surprised that I didn't have to go do homework. You can do it. Too bad they don't make senioritis pills!

The Summerhays Archives