Thursday, June 25, 2009

5 kids and a minivan...

Heads Up: This may be a boring read and is more for my memory than anything else (i.e. your entertainment..)

Since saturday, we have been getting a little preview of life down the road.

My oldest brother and his wife are taking a much deserved break and are spending the week in honor of Becky's parents' 40th anniversary in Puerto Vallarta.

After shipping the 7 and 9 yr olds off to cousins in Idaho, we are tending the 12 yr old, Robbie, the 5 yr old, Alaina, and the 2.5 yr old, Timmy. Thus, we are currently the 'parents' of 5.

It has been an adventure! (our camera is dead, we dont have the charge, thus there are no pictures..)

Rob has been the BIGGEST helper- I honestly don't know if I could handle it without him. I haven't had to change a single poopy diaper of Tim's, and Rob reads stories to Alaina and Tim before bed. He helps watch them (when he's home), does loads of chores, and is very cooperative and agreeable. He's be a total champ.

Another sanity-saver is that the upstairs room is just a big playroom. Right now, the 3 youngest (Rob is off to soccer) are up there playing. The room can become a huge and total disaster, but hopefully after our hour-long session of cleaning it to the point of being vacuumed (this is big stuff, people), it can stay relatively clean.

Rob has just started learning the tuba and it's been lots of fun giving him lessons and playing along with him. I brought my own tuba over and it's been so nice to get reacquainted with it. It's pretty amazing to hear how much he has improved since last Thursday, when honestly, you couldn't tell if he was playing notes or not. He sounds pretty darn good now. I think he could be great!

We have been: making fun Father's Day cards, eating lots of fruits, playing outside, dinner outside, the park with Nate & Molly, coloring, working on sharing, trading off a nasty bug- 1st Timmy, then Channing, now Christian..., movie nights, pizza nights, putting way more cheese on quesadillas and sugar on cereals than Mom (Becky) would ever allow... :P , reading stories, playing upstairs, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, watering gardens, and lots of singing.

We also spent Father's Day in American Fork with Mom and Dad S--thank you so much for letting us all come over and join in the family festivities. We had a great time being with you and really appreciate the extra work you went through to accommodate us all.

In store: backyard fire pit and hot dogs, game night, soccer with Uncle Patrick, and whatever else we can come up with.

In other news: both P and I REALLY like their mini-van. It drives beautifully. :D

5 comments:

PerryParty3 said...

Wow! Sounds like a party! I think I'm going to have to talk to Bard and Becky about letting me borrow Rob for a few days. He sounds awesome!

You guys are welcome to come babysit as well. :)

LOVE all the posts, even without pictures.

Staigerfamily said...

ROB playing the tuba?!? That is hard and hilarious to picture. I can't even see him holding a tuba--I guess because in my mind he is still a little kid. AWESOME! What great babysitter's you are! This post totally makes me want to have you watch my kiddos when we go on our romantic getaways . . . which maybe in ten years might actually happen (here's for hoping!). I'm with Tia--I wonder if we could get Robbie on a rotating basis!

Patrick said...

Now just HOLD ON a minute everybody before y'all get carried away. We need a vacation ourselves (especially Tawna--she deserves it the most) after two weeks of babysitting/house-sitting/dog-sitting in the month of June. :)

tawna said...

That's my man!! Thanks, babes!! :D

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

cute :)
By the way, we pretty much definitely should be friends in non-bloggy world. :o)

The Summerhays Archives