Thursday, August 13, 2009

ANNOUNCING.....

For Our Dear Readers' Information:

We Would Like to Announce the New Headquarters of the Summerhays Family, Inc.






Gunnison, UT. Pop. 2,500.

AWESOME.

Our Story:

Tuesday Patrick drove the 1 hr 45 min to interview at Gunnison Valley High School. He did a terrific job, but there were also SIX OTHER INTERVIEWEES.

SIX!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it. SCHOOL STARTS IN TWO WEEKS, and its a BOONIE-TOWN, and there were SIX OTHER PEOPLE VYING FOR THIS JOB?????? What is WRONG with these people?? Why Don't they have jobs? What is wrong with them?

(oh, right, we were number 7......)


ANYWAYS. He gets home about 5:30 pm. At 7 pm the phone rings. 7:10 he hangs up and informs me by standing silent with open arms and a big smile, and "wanna go to Gunnison?"

Of course I cheer, run, jump in his arms, and he spins me. Just like the movies. :) Except I start bawling. (well, maybe that IS just like the movies..)

7:15 we give a prayer of Gratitude and request confirmation about our acceptance... No bad feelings ensue, so...
7:20 he calls and officially accepts the position.

7:30pm. Patrick and I call our families.

This is Tuesday the 11th. New teacher training starts Wednesday the 12th. Thankfully, he's not expected to attend. His first teacher day is Wednesday the 19th. ONE WEEK. Students start the 24th. 1.5 WEEKS.

good grief.

Needless to say, our lives are now a complete whirlwind. We have now 5 days to find housing for at least Patrick while we look for housing for all of us. Tomorrow we head out there to: 1) Meet with the assistant superintendent who needs to give p. the low down. 2) Introduce me (per request) to the principal of the high school (and get a set of keys to the school). 3) Have Patrick check out his inventory and see what he has to work with. 4) Look for housing.

Annnnnnd....amidst all this, my dear sister and her 3 kids, my mom, dad, and little brother are all arriving between Tomorrow night and Tuesday. And we have to suddenly book it. :(

But Mostly:

WE ARE SO GRATEFUL. AND SO EXCITED. And i have finally stopped crying. :)

So! We're only 2 hours away from our UT friends. Come visit us!! I hear there's an amazing pizza place and candy store in Manti, which is only about 19 min from Gunnison.


Gunnison, UT. The New Rockingest Place on Earth.


Heck Yes.

19 comments:

Randi said...

Congratulations! This is very exciting news! We wish you luck with finding housing and hope everything goes well these next few weeks!

Staigerfamily said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Does the school really have that huge dog sign or did you photo shop the logo in or something? I am honestly dying to know.

WAY TO GO GUNNISON!!! We are so very, very, very excited for you. Reading this post I couldn't decide if I was laughing or crying. . . so it came out more like. . sob. . ha ha. . sob. . . ha ha. . .

VERY VERY Happy news!!!! Way to go Summerhays INC. WATCH OUT GUNNISON!!!

Susan said...

Congrats! That's awesome!

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

YYYEEAAAHHHHH!!! This is SO amazing! This is honestly so perfect! I'm so glad they chose him! Hmmm... housing... I'd stalk ksl.com & craigslist like a demon for the next few weeks to find the best deal.

WooOOOO hooooOOOO!!!

kristen said...

Congrats you guys! Good luck with the move and new job... I'm sure you'll be the talk of the town!

tawna said...

Thanks, everybody! We're pretty relieved, as today is patrick's LAST day at the library...9 years later... :P (okay, not quite...)

Tams, I don't have that kind of photoshopping skills. (and by "that kind' I mean ANY. WHATSOEVER. And...Im pretty sure There's not a giant cartoon bulldog sticking out of the roof of the highschool. I just stole the picture off the highschool's website. Although...if there WERE a giant bulldog sticking out of the roof, Im pretty sure we would have to Officially Declare Gunnison Highschool the Worlds Greatest School. And stay there until all our children and our children's children were able to attend said World's Greatest School...

May Family said...

Woo hoo! That is so exciting. Congratulations! Seems like a pretty good location considering other places you could go. Two hours is not a bad drive at all.

Cyndie said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!

Kyle let me know and I was soooooo excited that you guys are staying in Utah!

Let us know if you need help with packing, watching kids, whatever-I'm so excited for you guys.

Once you find a place to stay, let's schedule and Ikea trip so you can decorate :)

Oh I'm so happy :)

M said...

Congrats Summerhay's! Enjoy the craziness. That's what it's all about!

beckstarr said...

Ohh you guys! great job! I just want to let you know that I wish I had read this earlier, because A. My family lives in Salina, which is about 5 minutes from Gunnison (I know who'd have thought) and B. My grandma owns a pretty nicely renovated trailer that she just put new carpet in, and you guys could live there if it were cute enough (I've not seen it in about 10 years). And C. we'll come and visit you guys on our way into town for the fam. visits! what a crazy small world. I know what Gunnison is like, because I grew up with my cousins telling me all about their high school! Patrick will be awesome for the job, and be such a good influence on the kids there! Good job again!

beckstarr said...

Ps when I say trailer, I don't mean one in a trailer park. It has it's own yard, plot, mailbox, porch, etc. hehehe

beckstarr said...

Ps when I say trailer, I don't mean one in a trailer park. It has it's own yard, plot, mailbox, porch, etc. hehehe

BrittWilk said...

YAHOOOOOO!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited for you guys. you can totally rock the small town. such great news and i'm sure it feels so good to be employed. we'll have to swap feelings on it when we get a job - ha!

Sassy Savvy said...

Congratulations!!!!

mk said...

How exciting!!!!! I'm so happy for y'all! You're all grown up! What does it feel like?? Congrats guys :)

Kristyn said...

WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hope everything with the move goes well - update soon! There's so much to fill us in on! But most of all, we're just excited for you guys! What a fun adventure!

Jenn Miyamoto said...

Congratulations! And Good Luck!!

Emily B. said...

Tawna, you're awesome! I love reading your blog. A super big congratulations are in order! Yeah! I'm looking forward to reading about the new school adventures!

RobertL said...

Hi, guys. Congratulations! Monique told me about your move. Gunnison seems like a nice place. We drive through on our way up to Provo from Orderville (2.5 hours south of you guys). Isn't small-town teaching fun?

We'll have to stop by sometime.

The Summerhays Archives