Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mama-Sons(and Anna) Campin' Time


The following is a post that I never finished from last month...lovely... but still wanted to post about:

Friday night P went on his first going-as-a-leader-not-as-a-scout Scout Camping Trip.

I felt like a Mom. I sewed all his patches on his shirt. (they look pretty good!) And I finally figured out (re-figured out...I know my mom taught my when I was little...) how to blind-hem his pants. On my sewing machine. huzzah!

I knew the boys were NOT going to be happy to have their best buddy gone over night, so I tried to be a good mom (for once) and make it a special weekend for us, too.

We had a Mama-Sons Pretend-Campin'-Trip-Inside! (I had to make sure that when I first presented the idea to Christian that he had a clear idea of what to expect. Otherwise, I knew there would be sadness/disappointment when we didn't use our ginormous tent and when we didn't camp outside. Gotta have those bases covered! )

I was pretty pooped by the time we got P out the door- and really just felt like plopping the kids in front of a movie and relaxing for the night- but Im really glad I didn't. (pardon if I'm tooting my own horn here.. )

Anyways- We had a lot of fun.

First, there were So Special Campin' Dinners Like Daddy's (which the boys both actually loved and ate all of it....and minimal cleanup? hmm....yes please. )

Then we went on a Hike. We ended up at our Bishop's house- and got to tour their mini-golf course, see some fish, and best of all, hold tiny, baby kitties. The boys Loved it!


Then we came home for some of my most-favorite-ever treats: Shmarshmellow Smores. Seriously. I can eat a bajillion of these. (hehe- becky c. ... :) )


(channing kept getting his hand stuck to his plate. :) )

then it was bathtime.


(sweet sister watching the action nearby)

Then Storytime
(it is Toasty in that tent!)


Then Sleeping in their tent.

I was pleasantly surprised that the boys actually went to sleep- together, in close quarters, not in their room, in a new/exciting/fun environment... etc. yes. It was a pleasant surprise.

anyways. We had a blast and this is going to be our new tradition each month when daddy is out on scout camps. Can't wait! :D

6 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

Okay--you offically get the awesome mom of the year award. How fun!!! They will remember stuff like this forever!

Staigerfamily said...

Okay--you offically get the awesome mom of the year award. How fun!!! They will remember stuff like this forever!

Mandy | Baking with Blondie said...

What a cute idea!! I agree with the Staigers - BEST MOM EVER! :) It's posts like this that make me look forward to being a mother someday :)

Kathryn Cooper said...

That is so fun! You're amazing! Maybe I can talk my husband into doing that version of camping instead of out in the middle of nowhere peeing on trees. lol.

PerryParty3 said...

oh.my.word. SOOO fun! I want to come next time!

beckstarr said...

you're amazing. And I have no idea what you're referring to. I can only eat 3 smores, tops. Heeeeheh. I love this idea! We just had what Hannah called a 'girls camp' when Dan and budge went to father sons. Here's to trying to make our kids lives wonderful! You're so good at it!

The Summerhays Archives