Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Rant. a completely complaining post. In which I count NOT my blessings. At all.

This is a total whining post.

You have been forewarned. (in my defense, i don't think i've ever done one of these before.)

I WANT A CITY.

I WANT STORES.

Gunnison/centerfield, UT, our new residence is a small place. I could go on for awhile on the perks of said place. But as previously stated, I will only complain and be overly dramatic in this post.

I need stores. I have SO MANY projects i really want to work on to set up our house (oh yes, we have a house. more on that later. That would be discussing a blessing. But this is a strictly ranting post)

Paint, sewing, curtain rods, curtains, fabric, paper, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

BUT WE HAVE NO STORES.

I want a Joanns.

I want a Walmart/Home Depot close enough that its not a huge gas expenditure/weekend excursion to go there.

I want a costco. So i can buy wipes. and huge bags of chocolate chips. (oh wait. no i don't. because then I wouldn't be able to mooch such things off said awesome brother and wife when they come down to visit..)

whine whine whine.

But seriously, people.

A thrift store would be nice. Then I could make my cheap-purchase-awesome-transformation purchases there.

ALAS. here I sit. Wasting away. Searching every possible online store for things like bright pink fabric, night stands, lamps, ribbon, tissue paper, cardstock, etc. etc. etc.

AND I CANT BUY ANY OF IT. b/c I'm obnoxious like that. Surely there must be a better deal somewhere. Or, what if its not the right shade? Texture? etc. BECAUSE I CANT SEE IT IN PERSON. and because paying 4.95 shipping is lame. (and i could use the opportunity here to thank my lucky stars that my awesome brother has hooked us up with amazon prime, but that would be showing gratitude. AND AMAZON DOESN'T SELL EVERYTHING. Almost, but not quite.)

And so i do drastic things like using the power drill on home projects I'm mildly clueless about while Patrick is at work so that i feel like SOMETHING is getting done... (and no, this did not turn out well....)

grumble grumble grumble.

I even dreamed about contacting Joanns and signing a petition to get them to open a store out here.

Its that pathetic.

WHY DIDNT I PURCHASE ALL CRAFTING/HOME IMPROVEMENT ITEMS I WOULD EVER NEED EVER WHEN THEY WERE SO CLOSE! SO VERY VERY CLOSE!!! NOW THEY ARE ALL SO FAR AWAY! ( i felt this way after each kid was born- 'why didn't i run all the errands I would ever have to run before 'fillintheblank' was born?? It was so much EASIER then! How Naive I was!!')


Anyways. I hope you get my jist. And are full of sympathy. And want to bring me large batches of awesome fabric and cardstock and ikea items. Immediately.

And I've decided to write a memoir: So Many Ideas, So Much Time, Nowhere to Purchase.

But then I'll need a store to sell it in.

12 comments:

Staigerfamily said...

I totally loved reading this. You are the best and most entertaining whiner post writer ever! Oh the little things I take for granted (like the walmart less than 1 mile away . . . but I have NO CLUE where the nearest JoAnns or other craft store is. . . )

By the way. . . good job staying focused on the whining at hand and not getting side tracked!

love ya and miss ya!

Edda Phillips said...

LOL that was one AWESOME post! :) What a pain... you should take one weekend (ok, maybe just a Saturday) entirely to yourself - no kids - and SPLURGE. Afterall, think of all that pent-up money you could have been spending already! It's just dying to be "spread around like manure." (guess that movie!)

Lisa Summerhays said...

I want a craft store within walking distance. :)

Ephraim has a second hand store. Not sure if you knew that or not. It's just down a little from Walmart. They have an amazing candy store too. Oh how I miss it.

Sounds like someone is in need of a crafting package. I'll get right on it. Are you looking for girly crafty stuff or just any crafty stuff??

Amber said...

I have felt your pain- though not quite as acutely I'm sure- and that's why I LOVE St. Louis! My fiance and I moved out here in July from a small town about an hour from anywhere and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having options again.

I missed the opportunity to choose which grocery store I'd go to; I missed the chance to just run out and pick up whatever I needed to finish a dinner that was already started; I hated having to plan out Saturday shopping trips to get the maximum amount done in a minimum amount of time. Oh, AND I'd moved to said town after living in Phoenix which, I'm sure you know, is not a small town and had EVERYTHING I needed within five to seven miles of my house.

Hang in there. You seem to like your town- something I never managed to do- so you will probably get used to the inconvenience that comes along with all the blessings. Speaking of which, I don't think I've congratulated you on... Anything. CONGRATULATIONS! Your boys are adorable and your daughter is sure to be beautiful.

PerryParty3 said...

hahha you crack me up. And yes, you should totaly write a book. I think many a people would get a kick out of it.

On the other hand, you have my complete sympathies! I would go crazy if I didn't have a place to go out and even just window shop.

And I wish for my own selfish purposes that you could get your hands on what you need to transform your house. I can't wait to get some ideas! :)

Fab Five said...

I thought there was a Target in Centerville. And SLC isn't that far away.

tawna said...

Jenny-
We live in centerFIELD. no target. :)

Centerfield- pop.1,068. 1.5 hours south of Provo.

Cyndie said...

"WHY DIDNT I PURCHASE ALL CRAFTING/HOME IMPROVEMENT ITEMS I WOULD EVER NEED EVER WHEN THEY WERE SO CLOSE! SO VERY VERY CLOSE!!! NOW THEY ARE ALL SO FAR AWAY! ( i felt this way after each kid was born- 'why didn't i run all the errands I would ever have to run before 'fillintheblank' was born?? It was so much EASIER then! How Naive I was!!')"

I totally understand this! this is a great post because I have felt the EXACT same way. I don't know when I can take Jack out into public. I am near these stores yet cannot visit them (not to mention the hospital bills are spilling in and I am worried my milk might dry up because of the stress of paying for a c-section uggghhhh!!!)

So what's your opinion on taking Jack out? Around your chillins too? I cannot believe you only have 10 weeks left until your little one is born!! :)

Michelley said...

Tawna - I admit I'm way behind in my blogging!! First of all - congrads on being pregnant again! Holy cow - that shows how far behind I am - sorry!!!) That's so exciting!!!! Yeah - you guys moved. Never heard of centerfield. Where is it exactly? And third - you guys all look so great! Love your family photo on the top. Your boys are more handsome than ever and soooo big!! Holy cats they grow up fast!! Seems like just yesterday we were in the Crandall's backyard having a pool party with newborn Channing. Seems like things are going well for you guys. Love all the pictures. And sorry there aren't stores closer. And sorry for the longest comment ever! :-0

RobertL said...

We cracked up when we read this, and cried at all of the truths. We now know why they call our town "Order"ville. We are liking eBay and Amazon more and more.
We've just had to plan our shopping and temple trips to St. George together (it's 1.5 hours). You really do get used to it. And, a good, big freezer has been a great investment.

beckstarr said...

ohh. I lived in Orderville, and I think that your friend there has it worse than you. But Ohh you have it bad. I so understand, though my journey is more of a 20 min. journey to a craft store. At least we've got Wally world. The next time you have to come up here (maybe our wal-mart is closest??) you'd better give me a buzz! 788-4946. Even if it's last minute, maybe we could hook up for a trip to the store! No worries, before long, you'll know how to make paper, and cute fabrics, and wood for projects. I wouldn't put it past you.

Emily B. said...

I am sorry! That sucks! I don't think I could live away from a big city.

p.s. I want to hear about the HOUSE!

The Summerhays Archives